Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Arctic flying

From: Roman Krashanitsa
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Arctic flying
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:32:40 -0700

Hi Martin,

Glad to hear that everything works there! Very interesting project too.
Are you taking pictures? Would love to see some.

When do you plan to come back home?

Roman

2009/3/24 <address@hidden>
Hi,

we are back in the Arctic flying Paparazzi aircrafts on Svalbard (N78°
E15°) doing geophysical research. There are two teams operating near
Longyearbyen, one on the apron of Longyearbyen airport (LYR) and the
other at the old northern lights research station in the Adventalen
valley. Currently we can get permission to fly up to 1500m outside the
airport opening times. The Paparazzi aircrafts work perfectly...for
humans it is just a little cold. Last night we had -32°C (-25°F) on the
ground.

The aircrafts are flying vertical and horizontal surveys to measure
temperature, humidity and pressure. Wind is estimated by flying and
gliding in circles. The aircrafts operate over open land, in the valley,
over ice and water. The air layers show very strange effects, especially
in the valley. Last night we "surfed" on a wave of air that was falling
down and bouncing up from the surrounding mountains. Without the motor
turned on the Funjet soared up 1m/s for several minutes at 1330m. The
aircrafts nose was pushed down to sink and the Funjet is not a glider at
all.

Will keep you posted...

Martin