RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Mikrokopter and Paparazzi

From: Cédric Marzer
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] Mikrokopter and Paparazzi
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:01:03 +0100

I have built both a paparazzi funjet and a mikrocopter (without the navigation
HW).
I can say that I was also tempted to merge both project.

The mikrocopter as some weaknesses that could be adressed by the paparazzi
project :

- The proposed navigation unit is more expensive and uses several pcbs that
could be replaced by a tiny + a compass module.
- The software for navigation isn't very developped (yet?).

On the other hand the imu and the stabilisation algorithm of the mikrocpoter is
great.

Ideally one would make one pcb with 1 or 2 LPC2148 (it needs to be proven that
one microcontroller only has enough processing power to compute both the IMU
and the navigation). The pcb would have the same gyros and pressure sensor as
the mikrocopter plus a compass and the connections for the gps. It would then
be necessary to port the mikrocopter stabilisation code to the ARM.

Some guy has already made a mikrocopter clone with an LPC2148 :
http://www.ulrichradig.de/home/index.php/projekte/mikrokopter