Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Armel Port of GCS

From: John Burt
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Armel Port of GCS
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:34:26 -0800

Gareth,

I think that porting GCS and the associated tools to the N810 would be an excellent idea. I bought an N810 last year with that in mind: the device (unlike the N800 BTW) has a daylight viewable transflective touch screen. I had visions of mounting it on my RC transmitter and linking it to a ground station modem via bluetooth. My UAV application involves deployments in rugged environments where being untethered and replacing the laptop with a low power device would be a significant advantage.

But then I discovered the problems with porting Paparazzi to Maemo. My thought was to wait for someone to port Ubuntu Mobile to the N8X0 devices, and then compile/install GCS on the device running debian/Ubuntu. Apparently, the mojo project at is working on porting Ubuntu Mobile to the N810 (not sure how far they've gotten).

Gareth Roberts wrote:

Hello all

I am currently in the early stages of porting the main parts of gcs to armel along with packaging for debian lenny. I've got xmllight and ivy-c built up,but am having serious problems with ivy-ocaml, as the makefile specs the native compiler (which doesn't exist for armel). I have no experience with ocaml,and dropping in ocamlc doesn't work.

I am carrying out this port in order to ultimately run gcs on nokia n8*0 devices using maemo. I believe that it could prove to be an excellent ground station device. Once ported, the next step would be to 'hildonise' the interface slightly to make it more finger-friendly.

Further ideas I've had involve wimax and the internal gps...

Comments,suggestions,ideas and reasons this is stupid and won't work are all welcome!

Cheers

Gareth R