Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ubuntu hardy on dell mini 12 looking for binary-lp

From: Paul Cox
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ubuntu hardy on dell mini 12 looking for binary-lpia instead of binary-i386
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:21:15 -0800

Thanks, Pascal.

Apt-get update no longer fails, but it turns out the .deb packages aren't going to work. You can remove the link if you like. Additional details follow for those that are interested:

I can get some of the packages installed using the -force-architecture option to dpkg (so it doesn't complain that they are not for lpia), but there's a couple of packages that have dependencies that I just can't satisfy. I am going to abandon getting this running on the mini 12 since I have other laptops already running paparazzi, and just wanted to tell folks they should stay away from laptops that use an architecture beside i386 if they want to install paparazzi easily. I'm not sure if all the other linux netbooks out there that use atom processors come with lpia or i386 kernels, so I can't say if you should stay away from Atom processors completely.

A standard i386 version of ubuntu (or other distro) should run on lpia machines, but I presume that some of the low power capabilities the architecture offers will be lost. I may try to install an i386 version of intrepid on the mini 12, although I'm weary of the BIOS and other issues I see some are having and it's easier if I just stick to using my eeepc 701.

Paul

Message: 2