Re: [Paparazzi-devel] beginners questions

From: Martin P
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] beginners questions
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 20:25:54 +0100

Hello Tillman,

> I was more thinking about saving money on the airframe.
> A paparazzi board will not be cheap. But this is a well established
> opensource project and quite frankly, I expect a much cleaner software
> on a hardware with some 'umpf'.

It depends upon what you expect. It goes without saying that Paparazzi is by
far more capable, whereas ArduPilot is at least  close to the minimum.

Of course Paparazzi has better software and it is readily available through
CVS. Better documentation, better website, and so on. It is, however, a lot of
software.

ArduPilot's software (if you find it, it is well hidden in the blog) is 18K of
source code in a handful of files. Something you can read in the morning while
you ride to work. It is very simple to understand. Not much space for
uncleanliness.
Just to fly a "normal" airplane, play around, implement some of your own ideas,
take some aerial photos and have fun ... maybe ArduPilot is all you need. Or
something cheap to begin with.

You have lots of time, it took me roughly one year to become an acceptable
RC-pilot.

Greetz, Martin

PS:  I found the code again, it is here:
http://analoguedevices.googlepages.com/ArduPilot.zip
In the comments there is a nice link for a simplified steering algorithm:
http://www.uavs.net/Waypoint-Math.pdf