Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny v2.11 - Programming help required

From: David Buzz Carlson
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Tiny v2.11 - Programming help required
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:03:33 +0300

Ben Paratz wrote:

This is what I need help with:

- Installing the drivers for the radio modem (the ground-station modem. It plugs into the USB port and grabs the serial signals. I'm sure you know all about this... The readme file that came with it says that I need to compile the driver into a 'Loadable Kernel Module' but I am unsure how to do this. The modem I am using is a Digi (Maxstream) 9XTend operating on 900MHz. I have been told that I may not need to install the driver, but can you please advise me on what to do.

The 9XTend does not have a driver in and of itself. You can think of it as a wired-to-wireless serial converter. You need something to interface with it and the computer. Most people use a Max 232 RS-232-to-TTL converter which needs no driver. Simply plug it into your serial port. You can also use a USB-to-TTL converter which does need a driver. The driver should come from the manufacturer of the chip. To get an idea, run "tail -f /var/log/messages" as root and see if you get any messages when you plug in your converter.

- Configuring the rc radio settings: I am using a 6-channel JR Radio. I have found (using a scope) that my JR R700 7-channel receiver outputs the ppm signal through the 'signal' pin in the battery connector. I can attach a picture of the signal if you want. Also, how do you choose which channel determines the mode? (Auto 1, Auto 2, Manual).

Channel E is used by default to set the mode. I'm not sure if you can change this in the code or not. If your JR R700 really does output the PPM signal on that pin, please verify. I have a few of those that would be great to not have to do any (more) soldering. I used Paparazzi's telemetry messages to configure my radio and it was really easy. Just use the debug.xml telemetry, start the autopilot and go into messages. Under PPM, it should show you the values. Moving each stick to it's max and min and centered gave me all the values I needed.

- Configuring the airframe file: I have had a go at making my own airframe file (following the wiki), but are not sure if it is correct. I have pasted the code at the bottom. My airframe is very simple: A 3-Channel Easystar. It also hope to be able to trigger a servo for controlling the shutter on a camera at a set position, but I will keep it simple and focus on achieving autonomous flight first.

This I don't know the answer. I'm also interested in how to configure a rudder-only setup.
It would really be great if you could help me get this working within the next week.

Good luck with that.

Buzz