Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IR sensors

From: Florin Mingireanu
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] IR sensors
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:01:10 +0200

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
What is the minimum temperature difference between the sky and the ground that the FMA co-pilot can read?

Would the co-pilot work in following conditions:
1.) rainy day?
2.) snow on the ground and clouds on the sky :-) ?
3.) flying through a cloud?

Did anybody fly FMA co-pilot in foggy conditions, rainy conditions, through clouds?

Thanks,

On 3/13/08, Marcus Wolschon <address@hidden> wrote:
2008/3/13, Florin Mingireanu <address@hidden>:
> Hi there,
>
> One quick question: What are the limitations of FMA co-pilot? Is it using
> the 7-14 microns wavelength window?

> Assume you have a high altitude glider.
> Would an IR horizon sensing device (e.g.: FMA co-pilot) work in a cloud?

I am not sure but as far as I remember far-IR goes through
clouds much better then visible light.

> What if the ground is covered by snow and it is cold (-20 degrees
> Celsius)... would it still work OK?

With 2 IRs pointing straight up and down it should self-calibrate.
With only 4 horizontal IRs you do the calibration.
So I would guess that this is no problem as long as your ground
is nowhere near the temperature of the sky.