Re: [Paparazzi-devel] USB Flashing

From: martin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] USB Flashing
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:24:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Alexis,

> I was able to load the USB-Bootloader on the Classix (from Ubunty
> 7.04). Now I am trying to load the code using USB...
>
> So if I am using:
>   make AIRCRAFT=TJ1 ap.upload FLASH_MODE=IAP
> I get:
>   no USB device
>   make[1]: *** [upload] Error 1
>   make: *** [ap.upload] Error 2

You need permission to access the "raw" USB bus. You should be member of
the dialout group and tell the system to allow access by copying the
file "10-paparazzi.rules" as root from

$PAPARAZZI_HOME/conf/system/udev/rules/

/etc/udev/rules.d

Some reported problems with recent installs of Debian. I don't have a
box to set up a new Debian. Maybe try renaming it to
"z10-paparazzi-rules" or adding the line

BUS=="usb",  SYSFS{idVendor}=="7070", GROUP="dialout"

Any feedback is welcome.

> Using:
>   sudo make AIRCRAFT=TJ1 ap.upload FLASH_MODE=IAP
> I get
>   Found USB device
>   BootROM code: 2.12
>   Part ID: 0x0402FF25 (LPC2148, 512k Flash, 32k+8k RAM)
>   BootLoader version: 1.3
>   #######################
>   Starting software at 0x00004000
>   USB error: Broken pipe
>   go failed at 0x00004000
>   make[1]: *** [upload] Error 1
>   make: *** [ap.upload] Error 2

This is not critical as at this point the verify went fine and the code
should be flashed ok. A possible cause of the error is that the LPC
ended the USB connection before the acknowledge was sent. Anyone else
see this?

> And one LED (the one closest to the audio connector, in the corner)
> slowly blinking. Sometime the led are still blinking after a reset
> (without the USB cable connected) but sometime they are not...

If it is blinking, the autopilot code should operate. What board are you
using exactly? Is the P0.23 (or another pin with the bootloader changed)
connected to the USB_Vbus? This pin tells the bootloader to either
download (high) or run the application (low). In older classix designs
this connection is missing. This would lead to a random start of the ap
software.

Martin