[Paparazzi-devel] IR resister swap, power supply, and video telemetry

From: John Koches
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] IR resister swap, power supply, and video telemetry
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:54:45 -0500

We are moving along on our project, but I have some questions.

1.  I purchased the ready made FMA Direct IR Sensor.  Before I go opening up the case, the website (http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Sensors) indicates that a "simple resister swap" is all that is required to make this device workable.  I assume you are talking about the sensor board.  Could you elaborate please.

2.  The general diagram showing the Tiny 13 v1.1 board (http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Tiny)  indicates that the flight battery is split between the board and the ESC.  I assume you are talking about a y connection and not two separate batteries so that you can monitor voltage as part of your system operations.  Is this correct?  Is there a reason that I couldn't use two batteries and keep the motor systems separate?  Are there any advantages to this solution?  I realize that we are talking more weight now.

3.  I am confused regarding the need for modem and/or video transmitter.  It sounds like if you can live without a video camera, you can install a modem for data telemetry.  But if you want a video camera, you need to find a video transmitter that handles audio so that you can send telemetry down that side of the system.  I suppose you could have a separate video system with flight telemetry going through the Auto Pilot using both a modem and a video transmitter, but I don't think that is what is intended.  Like I said, I am a little confused and I just need some clarification before I start the development of my ground station.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jkk