Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless communications

From: Kitts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Wireless communications
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:31:20 +0530

On Tuesday 07 Jun 2005 4:20 am IST, Filipe Varela wrote:
> Well basically there seems to be two options:
>
>      FM Transciever approach
>          Cons:
>              requires modulation of data into audio channel plus
> demodulation on ground (both ways for control)
>          Pros:
>              cheap for long range
>              some cheap ones support both long range and video
>
>      Radio modem approach
>          Cons:
>              expensive for long range
>              expensive for decent bandwidth to tx video + teletry and
> rx control (optional)
>          Pros:
>              errrr... no soft modulation required
>
> As for the power, it's too device-specific. Some use it correctly and
> some waste it horribly. Though for electric airframes this is an
> issue.
>
> Well i guess i have decided... Now i just have to choose i nice set
> of 2 fm transcievers and a nice set of antennae. Anyone care to speak
> about their experiences?

I have used the 100mW BIM1 FM transceiver modules from Radiometrix. It
worked well offering me a pretty descent range. It has a
modulator/demodulator built into it if you want to use for digital
communication. The built in modulator though claimed to work up to
10kbps worked poorly at 9.6kbps. You might want to modulate and
demodulate while using the analog input/output channel instead.

--
Cheers!
Kitts