pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] blind user of pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] blind user of pan
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:25:01 -0000 (UTC)

seth Hurst posted on Fri, 2 Sep 2022 04:05:05 -0400 as excerpted:

> Is there a better way for reading of messages? Right now I'm
> copy/pasting into a separate  text editor to read messages because orca
> will not read the article bodies. I would like a more streamlined way of
> doing this but for now I guess it works. Great news reader.

Sighted user here so I can't say for sure whether any of these suggestions
will work, but there's several things I'd try.  This assumes the menus are
appropriately accessible but I guess they are or you'd not have gotten
this far.  Anyway, four suggestions, first three in order from guessed
most likely to work to least likely, with the forth I'd guess actually
more likely to work than the first, but also more hassle, thus its last
listing.

1) Tabbed layout (as opposed to the default multipane view).  The checkbox
for this is on the View menu, Layout, Tabbed Layout.  The result should be
a set of three tabs shown one at a time, group, header, body, instead of
three panes.  In the same place  there's also menu entries to jump to each
of the three tabs.  IIRC there's hotkeys for the functions too, but I've
long had mine customized so I can't say what the defaults are.

With any luck orca will be able to read the article body when the body tab
is displayed.

2) Paned layout, but temporarily hide the group and header panes so only
the body pane is shown.  Again under View, Layout, there's separate
toggles for each of the panes.  Again, the hope is that if the group and
header panes are hidden so only the body pane is available, that'll let
orca read it.

3) Toggle expanded/collapsed body title area.

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is accessible so you may need a sighted
helper to toggle it, but at the top of the body pane there's a header-
display section that can be collapsed into a single line or expanded into
several.  Double-clicking the section toggles it.  The idea here would be
that perhaps toggling that will let orca read the actual body content that
appears below this section.

4) Try using pan's external editor functionality.  This takes a different
tact and would need to be done for each message so would be more hassle,
but OTOH I'm guessing will be most likely to actually work.

First you'll need to setup an external editor in pan's preferences,
applications tab, text editor.  Setup your choice there.

Once that's set, for the first message you need to want to read and
possibly reply to, followup-reply to open pan's posting window (post menu,
followup to newgroup), then in the resulting window, edit menu, run
editor.  This should open the message as a reply in your chosen editor,
which presumably orca knows how to handle properly or it wouldn't be your
chosen editor.

If that works suitably there's an option in the same menu to always run
editor.  You can set that and at least avoid manually opening the external
editor each time, but you'll still need to "followup" to the message in
ordered to open that external editor.

Hopefully one of those works.  FWIW, after several years with very little
even basic maintenance pan only recently got a new maintainer and switched
from gtk2 to gtk3 components which are only now reasonably stable.  I
believe in general gtk3 offers far better accessibility opportunities with
less work, which I'd guess it why pan's working as well as it is for you,
but given the lower testing accessibility gets there's sure to be bugs in
that still and you're the first I've seen reporting them.  So you're
already helping to fix them by just posting this. =:^)