pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.150 on openSUSE 15.3

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.150 on openSUSE 15.3
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 23:06:32 -0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 16 May 2022 10:26:45 -0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted on Sun, 15 May 2022 19:08:17 -0000 (UTC) as
> excerpted:
>
>> On Sun, 15 May 2022 11:36:54 +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 17:21:28 CEST Jim Henderson wrote:
>
> [I'm all for snipping to replied context, but that's missing here.  I
> had to go back and find it...]
>
> Context is group pane and overall main window sizing bugs, apparently
> message specific.

Correct.

>>> I've just re-built pan/gtk3 with that version and did not see any
>>> problem with the "community meeting" message you mentioned.
>>>
>>> All the best
>>
>> Thanks.  I wonder if maybe it's something being caused by an older
>> configuration holdover.  I'll look at nuking the config files and see
>> if that helps.
>
> Just so we're not comparing apples to grapes, everyone's running in
> multi-
> pane mode, not tabbed-layout, correct?  Any difference in behavior
> either switching to tabbed or changing the pane layout/order?

Correct, multi-pane mode, not the tabbed layout.

If I switch to tabbed, the issue isn't present, but the issue is that the
groups list shrinks in size, and in tabbed layout that's a non-issue.

Ironically, now I cannot reproduce the issue at all.  I've just scrolled
through the messages that it was consistently happening with, and nothing
changed - even in a small window (I normally run maximized).

> In my experience message-specific bugs are often due to bugs in specific
> versions of gmime, thus explaining difference behavior with the same pan
> version across different distros/distro-releases with different versions
> of gmime installed.
>
> FWIW I'm running gmime-3.2.11 here (with pan from git, having just
> upgraded to pull in the latest translation tweak commit, according to
> the git log, version should be in headers as I'm posting with pan) and
> haven't seen the issue in general (here it seems more stable than early
> 3.2, but that could be pan stabilizing on gtk3 too), tho I've not
> checked those specific messages.  RPMFind.net[1] seems to list 3.2.6 and
> 3.2.7 for OpenSuSE even including tumbleweed (libgmime-3), so it seems
> it's a bit behind.  Tho FWIW download.gnome.org still says 3.2.7 is the
> latest, but github.com/jstedfast/gmime has 3.2.11 tagged on March 18.
> No idea what's going on there but obviously Gentoo trusts it or that
> version wouldn't be in the tree.

Yeah, 3.2.6 here.

> As for the specific bug, I'd guess it's a utf-8-multibyte-character
> bug...
> in gmime of course... getting pan's width calculation all screwed up
> somehow.

Could be - I'll keep my eyes open for the behaviour again, and if I see
it, I'll check the encoding to see if that provides a hint.

openSUSE 15.4 is getting a release candidate tomorrow IIRC, so I may
rebuild to run on that release and see if it behaves any differently.
I'm building using the Open Build Service (build.opensuse.org), though
that shouldn't make a difference.

Jim
--
 Jim Henderson