osip-dev

Re: [osip-dev] 200 Ok retransmissions

From: Aymeric Moizard
Subject: Re: [osip-dev] 200 Ok retransmissions
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 12:01:15 +0200

hi,

Hi Christoph!

I had a look in the code to find out, where the

retransmission of 200 Ok responses are sent.

… and found out, that this is done in eXosip_event_wait !

thus, they are sent in the context of an application-thread,

whereas retransmissions for 1xx responses and requests are sent in osip.

what is the reason for this ?

From the rfc3261, the handling of 200ok and ACK are made "outside of transaction".
For example, from 13.2.2.4 2xx Responses:

"This is because the UAC core handles retransmissions of the ACK, not the transaction layer."

Well, I do agree that it could have been done some other better way...

an app using a high timeout for eXosip_event_wait

would not expect that the retransmission-timing of 200 Ok response is being influenced !

in addition, in case the app receives lots of events,

the function _eXosip_retransmit_lost200ok  is rarely called – and the 200 Ok retransmission could starve.

I admit this code is not perfect. (However, it sounds enough for standard user-agent number of messages)

If you have time, you may propose some better code/alternative! I would be greatful!

Otherwise, if you have money, I could think about a better model, inside osip!
;)

Let me know!
Regards
Aymeric