osip-dev

[osip-dev] New version 5.0.0 of osip & eXosip

From: Aymeric Moizard
Subject: [osip-dev] New version 5.0.0 of osip & eXosip
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:48:56 +0200

Dear list, users, listeners,

I'm happy to announce a new version of osip2 and exosip2, both realease under version 5.0.0.

https://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/exosip/libexosip2-5.0.0.tar.gz
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/osip/libosip2-5.0.0.tar.gz

Quick description for osip:
1/ security update
2/ parser fix
3/ a bit of performance, cosmetics...

There was only 50 commits since 4.0.0: not because it's inactive, but because
it's stable enough ;)

Quick description for exosip:
1/ a few API update (minor ones) either to fix bug, or make it easier.
    It remains easy to upgrade.
2/ approx 10 new options
3/ improve network layer, udp/tcp/tls, large message support, IPv6
4/ improve security/openssl config
5/ introduce more control for mobile platform (hooks for android wakelock ou ios bgtask)
6/ improve IP management to be more consistent with IP used in Via/Contact
7/ improve NAPTR/fallbacks
8/ a bit of performance, cosmetics, features and other tiny fix.

There was much more commits in exosip2 compared to osip2. exosip2 is moving.
SIP applications are still suffering from bad sip deployments, NAT ALG, and new
mobile features (like deep sleep). Thus, a lot of work has been done on the network
layer, to make it more reliable, to recover faster, support as much scenario as possible
in the more transparent way. Those new improvements also relates to IPv6 which is
coming more, at least as a requirement.

It may not be clear, but exosip2 depends on c-ares (https://c-ares.haxx.se/) today.
Even if it works without, it doesn't work the same. The asynchronous c-ares
capabilities are really useful, if not required...

It's also not clear, but osip and exosip2 are mostly used today on mobile, ie, android
and iOS. I do not provide any android makefile or xcodeprojects for osip/exosip/c-ares.
Of course, I also have visual studio and macosx xcodeprojects...

I do prefer to keep the archive without all those makefiles/projects.
However, I do have them!!!! and I'll be pleased to provide them to anyone asking!

A bit of advertising: please use my Voip By Antisip demo from Google Play. If
you are interested in latest sip/webrtc technology, you may like it!
If you are not looking at advanced features it may still be useful! ;)

Best,
Aymeric