oroborus-user

[Oroborus-user] Proposal?

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: [Oroborus-user] Proposal?
Date: 18 Jul 2002 22:39:05 +0200

Hey,

Sawfish, and I expect many other window managers as well, have features
to match windows. Now, I think something like that has been implemented
in oroborus (borderless_windows configuration).

I'd like to propose a different approach so that this doesn't need to be
implemented in the window manager. Implementing it might have problems,
like classnames not being unique etc. anyway.
So, I propose that some sort of communication mechanism is added to
oroborus so that it can notify other applications that a window was
created. This/These other application(s) can then set the window hints
according to user-specified rules.
This approach has the advantage of leaving all users that don't want
something like that with almost no performance tradeoff, and users that
need/want this feature can write their own listening apps to create
their special rules (or write an app that has an extensive configuration
for this).

Anyway, I'd love to implement this, because I'd really like to be able
to do this for various reasons, but I have no clue how to approach it.
XEvents? A pipe? Something like the desktop button proxy (if so - how
does it work?)?

Or am I overseeing something and I can already get a notification from X
when a window is created/mapped? I don't like the idea of polling for
windows.

johannes
--
http://www.sipsolutions.de/