[Openexr-devel] Empty OpenEXR Data Window

From: Julie Santerre
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Empty OpenEXR Data Window
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:53:20 -0600

Hi to all of you,

My goal would be to write an EXR file having an empty data window, basically having an EXR file representing an empty image.

Here's what I understand about OpenExr windows. The data and the display windows are both defined as being OpenEXR's Imath:Box2i. It is possible to have an empty Imath:Box2i and consequently an empty window (as the function makeEmpty() and isEmpty() shows).

Now, if I understand things correctly, it is currently not possible to write to an EXR file an empty image, meaning that it is not possible to set the data window in the EXR header to such an empty window (that would be made empty using the makeEmpty() function).

Could one of you either confirm that my understanding is accurate or correct me if I'm wrong? If I'm wrong, maybe someone can point to me how to write such file? If I'm right, could someone tell me what would be the best way to "represent" such a file? One possibility would be to write it as a file with one single black pixel in it. Does that make sense? And is there any plans on supporting empty data window in the near future?

I already asked that question a while ago and did not get any answer yet... So I'm very sorry for insisting, but I really need to have that information...

Many thanks!

Julie