Re: [Openexr-devel] looking for a working 2.0.1 Windows build

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] looking for a working 2.0.1 Windows build
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:19:03 -0700

On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Nick wrote:

> Instead of making a Windows branch, why don't we make an EXR 2.1 branch, and
> note that one of the main features is the development of a cross platform Iex?

It seems to me like this is the whole point of writing an open source project
with git and GitHub.  It's decentralized.  The only difference between the
github.com/openexr/openexr repo and someone else's fork is the level of trust.

If you want a branch with Visual Studio projects, make you own and tell other
people about it.  You don't need permission from Piotr et al.  If what you make
works well, people will use it and maybe someday it will get pulled back into
the original.  I've got VS2008 static linking versions here if anyone wants
them:

https://github.com/fnordware/openexr/tree/projects

I can't blame Piotr & co. for not wanting to deal with maintaining projects for
every build system out there.  The people using those build systems should be
the ones maintaining the projects, and GitHub allows you to do just that.

Brendan