Re: [Openexr-devel] All-Static Build on Windows?

From: Ger Hobbelt
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] All-Static Build on Windows?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:31:09 +0200

bottom line: if you want 'static' builds, for any MSVC platform/build combo, I suggest you convert ALL openexr projects to 'static lib'.

As described in link above, but there's a little more to attend to to make it work for real:

first, you load those projects into MSVC and then for each DLL project go to

properties > Configuration Properties > General > Configuration Type = 'Static Library (.lib') instead of 'Dynamic Library (.dll)'

Next, you need to remove the CreateDLL postprocess phase as that is not needed in a static build environment: same dialog, so

properties > Configuration Properties > Build Events > Post-Build Event.

There you have to tread a little carefully as you ONLY want to remove the CreateDLL invocation, not the file copying, etc. (or you'll have to tweak the dependent projects to point at the new libs, which, now that I think about while typing this quickly, /might/ be a good thing to do, though would require one to always include the openEXR vcproj's in their own larger projects -- an approach which I always do myself, but not everyone does it like that. Anyway...) -->
remove any lines in there that invoke CreateDLL (these may be long and DO MAKE SURE to click that [...] edit button right next to the line showing those commands as the post section has multiple commands and you only want to edit a few in each.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Simon Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On 13 Apr 2011, at 15:20, Paul Miller wrote:
> On 4/8/2011 3:27 PM, Simon Eves wrote:
>> On 64-bit, Half and Iex build, but both IlmThread and Imath complain
>> that Iex.lib is corrupted. DependencyWalker, on the other hand, is
>> quite happy with both Half.lib and Iex.lib.
>>
>> Needless to say, this is rather confusing...
>>
>> If anyone can tell me the right incantatation to get IlmBase 1.0.2 and
>> OpenEXR 1.7.0 converted to static build, I will buy them a beer (if
>> within a ten mile radius of SF).
>
> Simon - I don't think I ever got that to work right. I ended up linking the EXR source directly into my app (well, plugin really).

Same here too. I gave up in the end and just compile all the code into my app directly through a couple of vcproj's for the OpenExr and ILM codebases.

Simon.