[Openexr-devel] JPEG-HDR/JPEG 2000/JPEG-XR on OpenEXR images ready

From: Thomas Richter
Subject: [Openexr-devel] JPEG-HDR/JPEG 2000/JPEG-XR on OpenEXR images ready
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:23:06 +0100

Hi folks,

in case you're interested, I completed the study of floating-point compression
algorithms on the OpenEXR image set, comparing the
compression performance of JPEG-HDR with that of the floating-point JPEG-XR
compression and a JPEG 2000 based floating point
compression format. Anyone interested in a pre-print might simply sent me a
note.

Short results for the impatient: In almost all cases, JPEG 2000 performs best
here. There is one interesting corner case, namely
the OpenEXR "StillLife" image where JPEG-HDR outperforms all other compression
schemes, which is due to the extreme nature of the
image - here JPEG-HDR profits from its adaptive tone-mapper. JPEG 2000/JPEG-XR
use a fixed mapping from floating point to integer,
offering the advantage of making lossless compression of floats possible.

So long,
        Thomas