Re: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:24:22 -0700

In the proposed format the raw image is split into channels, one
per filter color.  The individual channels are not fully populated;
for example, with an RGB Bayer-pattern CFA, only half of the pixels
in the green channel, and a quarter of the pixels in the red and
blue channels have data.  My original email describes how this can
be stored efficiently in an OpenEXR file.

As I mentioned earlier, I have not done enough testing to know how
algorithms such as B44 affect RAW images.  On the other hand, looking
closely at the RAW images output by some cameras, I suspect that the
files have been compressed with a lossy method (or maybe the camera
sensors produce rather peculiar block-like artifacts).

Alexander Forsythe wrote:
Thanks Florian

That's good news that the channels are compressed individually.
How exactly what this achieved given there's essentially only one channel in a RAW image? Regardless, it's always been my impression that lossy compression, via either a lossy compression algorithm or quantization, of RAW images is frowned upon, but maybe options are good ... Just my 2ยข

Alex

Alexander Forsythe
Senior Imaging Engineer
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Science and Technology Council
email -   address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
address - 1313 Vine Street
                Hollywood, CA 90028