Re: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:03:01 -0700

Hi Greg,

as I noted in my original mail, I wrote this proposal in
response to people asking me whether it would be feasible
to store RAW images in OpenEXR files.

Properly implemented, an "EXR RAW" format has the potential
to integrate nicely into existing OpenEXR-based work flows.
The RAW format could be combined with existing features,
such as the Weta multi-view format.

A RAW format with an open-source implementation would be
easier to support in new and existing application software
than one for which a file I/O library must be written from
scratch according to a lengthy specification.

I do realize that CFA-to-RGB demosaicing is not trivial, but
the task is no easier or harder with EXR RAW than with any
other format.  If you want to work with RAW files, then you
must have a way to convert to RGB.  You'll have to write or
license a converter.

Florian

Greg Ward wrote:
Hi Florian,

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this. Can you give a little background motivation for why incorporating RAW data into OpenEXR is desirable? What are the advantages/disadvantages relative to Adobe's DNG format <http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/>? There is a fair amount of work involved in doing a good job converting from CFA to RGB, much of it having to do with noise reduction, white balancing, and saturation detection. From what I understand, it is a subtle art, and not one to undertake lightly.

Best,
-Greg

From: Florian Kainz <address@hidden>
Date: May 6, 2008 1:19:44 PM PDT

Recently several people have asked whether OpenEXR would be suitable
for storing RAW images from cameras with color filter array sensors.
The proposal below describes a method to do that.  I would be  interested
in feedback from OpenEXR users.

Florian

OpenEXR RAW Images