Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling ilmbase+openexr on solaris x86 64bit

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling ilmbase+openexr on solaris x86 64bit
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:18:11 -0600 (CST)

For building 64-bit on Solaris, I use small shell script wrappers to help ensure that correct options are passed. For example, this is the text of a script called c++-64:

#!/bin/sh
exec c++ -m64 -march=opteron "$@"

I then specify CXX=c++-64 to the configure script.

In order to make building configure-based packages fairly easy, I use a separate install tree for 64-bit apps (e.g. /usr/local64) and then add a share/config.site script under that tree similar to the one attached. The configure script automatically sources the config.site file, which supplies default options. The advantage of this approach is that selection of a 64-bit build may be specified by the --prefix option to the configure script and then the configure script automatically uses the right options and everything just works. So one install prefix is used for 32-bit apps and another is used for 64-bit apps.

Last I heard, Solaris was being dropped from OpenEXR's "supported" list. Hopefully someone will have the sense to add it back.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn