Re: [Openexr-devel] channel configurations and types

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] channel configurations and types
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:59:13 -0700

When you read an image file, the library will automatically
convert from the data type in the file to the data type in
the frame buffer.  You can read a file with half data into
a frame buffer of type float.

When you write a file, the library will not convert between
data types.  The type in the file must match the type in the
frame buffer.

You don't have to worry about the order in which the channels
are stored in the file.  The FrameBuffer object describes
the memory location where you want the data for each channel
to be stored.  When you call InputFile::readPixels(), the
library retrieves the data from the file and stores them in
the locations specified by the FrameBuffer; how the data
are stored in the file is irrelevant.  (The order in the file
is fixed and unlikely to match your frame buffer's layout.)

Florian

darby johnston wrote:
Hi,

I had a question about reading exr files with your
library; in the documentation it mentions that if your
framebuffer object has channels that don't match the
ones in the file, the library gracefully handles that
and fills them with a default value. That's cool. I
was wondering if there were any other automatic
conversions that happened? Say I have an exr file that
lists channels ABGR of type half; if I set my
framebuffer to be RGBA of type float, can the library
automatically reorder the channels and do the type
conversion?

Thanks, Darby