Re: [Openexr-devel] newbie questions: alpha-only files and linear conver

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] newbie questions: alpha-only files and linear conversion on save
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:09:28 -0600

1) Using the RGBA-only interface, one way to write an alpha-only
   image is to open the file like this:

        RgbaOutputFile file (fileName, width, height, WRITE_A);

Make take on this is I still need to feed it an complete RGBA frame buffer, and it only saves the alpha channel. So for maximum performance I would prefer the manual header channel insert, since I would only need to "convert" my alpha components.

   OpenEXR expects pixel data to be linear.  In order to convert
   8-bit pixels to OpenEXR's "half" you should linearize the data:

Ahh - this clears that up a good deal, thanks.

   Note that this may apply only to RGB data.  In many file formats
   alpha is linear.  The opacity represented by the alpha channel
   is proportional to the 8-bit value stored in the pixel.

Yes, I am currently just converting my alpha components to half by dividing by 255 (or 65535).

On load, I am currently using the conversion code found in the exrdisplay tool.

Thanks for the help guys!