Re: [Openexr-devel] KeyKodes (a recap)

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] KeyKodes (a recap)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:23:06 +0100

Tom Dilligan wrote:
Ken McGaugh wrote:
I too feel the perfOffset should be in perfs, not inn frames. One thing I'm unclear on is if the perfOffset stored in a dpx includes
the frame's perf alignment (ie. "p1"), or is it merely just the
cineon-style frame offset multiplied by the number of perfsPerFrame? Unfortunately I don't have access to any dpx sequences here to test
this, just cineons.

The two dpx sequences that I have here both have the perfOffset where
perfOffset mod 4 == 0, which might indicate that it's just taking the
cineon number and multiplying it by four. It's a 1 in 8 chance for this
to happen randomly. Not impossibly remote.

Good news.  I just heard from an acquaintance at FilmLight that the
NorthLight scanners, when used with a keycode reader, will indeed store
the perf offset as the number of perfs between the reference mark
and the last perf in the frame.  But he did mention that the scanner
has a mode where it will put the frame offset into the perf offset field,
completely against the DPX spec.

--Ken