Re: [Openexr-devel] Combustion plugin

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Combustion plugin
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:30:51 -0700

Hi, Darrel (and Brendan),

combustion has limited support for Photoshop file format plugins, but the OpenEXR plugin won't work in combustion. If I remember correctly, combustion emulates Photoshop version 2, and the OpenEXR plugin requires Photoshop 5 or higher. To make a plugin that worked with combustion, someone would have to strip out all of the Adobe Dialog Manager stuff, as well as the advanceState callback, and probably some other stuff.

Of course, if you did this, you'd be left with a plugin that sent quantized integer pixels to a floating-point program, which would be less than ideal. You'd really want to create a special plugin for combustion. Unfortunately, I don't think that Discreet ships an SDK that lets you do this. I remember talking to some Discreet engineers about this possibility a few years ago, but that project didn't end up going forward. Perhaps someone more familiar with combustion can elaborate further?

- Paul