Re: [Openexr-devel] exchanging exr's

From: Ciaran Wills
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] exchanging exr's
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:24:14 +0100

For 3d/vfx work it's great to store scene luminance values, but for
bureau scanning/recording or digital intermediate work I think we need
to stick to density related values as the conversion between luminance
and density is complex and probably unknown to the bureau company.

I like the idea of storing density values directly in the EXR file
(obviously labelled as such), and doing away with the whole cineon/log
encoding business.  I get the impression Kevin's not entirely happy with
that though - am I right?  Surely it's no worse than having encoded
density values ala Cineon?

Obviously cineon/dpx are here to stay for a while but the conversion and
relevant tags can be standardised, and perhaps the conversion supported
in the OpenEXR library.

Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding something...

On the VFX side however I'm very interested in seeing the colour
transform stuff Florian is talking about - any idea of when? ;)

Ciaran.