Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR <-> Cineon/DPX

From: Charles Henrich
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR <-> Cineon/DPX
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:29:09 -0700

Unless im missing something, this entire discussion is stemming from the fact
that we dont have a real world equivilancy for what an exr float value
actually represents.  It seems to me a bad idea to encode into the file format
conversion information to another file format used mostly for film recording
and scanning, especially if one never intends to record or scan to this
format.  Wouldnt it make more sense to define the float exr values as a
measurement of light intensity and call it a day?  Aka 1.0 RGB is 100fL and
use a color temperature header to define that aspect?  Or something like that,
and leave conversion to and from other as a separate task outside the file
format instead of adding cruft to one format to assist another..

-Crh

       Charles Henrich           Digital Domain          address@hidden

                         http://www.sigbus.com/~henrich