Re: [Openexr-devel] VC7 compile errors

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] VC7 compile errors
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:39:37 -0700

Hi Martin,

with Visual C++ .NET, version 7.1, OpenEXR should compile
right out of the box, but version 6 and earlier versions
cannot compile OpenEXR at all.

With version 7.1, all you have to do is open the "OpenEXR
Visual Studio Solution Object" in the vc\vc7 folder, and
hit F7.

When you compile OpenEXR 1.2.0 with Visual C++, you will
get lots of warnings, but the code should compile and pass
all confidence tests.  OpenEXR makes extensive use of implicit
type conversions, and the Visual C++ compiler flags most of
them as potential bugs.  This will be fixed in the next
release of OpenEXR. (If you are interested, check out the
latest code from CVS; the fix was checked in yesterday.)

Florian

martin wrote:
Hello;

I've spent the last couple of days trying to compile through the OpenEXR
directories: imath, half, and ilmimf under Windows.

There are numerous compile errors that forced me to comment out sections
of code.  For example,
ULONG_MAX == 18446744073709551615LU
and the ending of long designations with "LL" and "LU" and duplicately
defined templates.
Another one is below:
OpenEXR\IlmImf\ImfAttribute.h(347) : warning C4541: 'dynamic_cast' used
on polymorphic type 'Imf::Attribute' with /GR-; unpredictable behavior
may result
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET\Vc7\include\xmemory(136) : while compiling class-template member
function 'const Imf::TypedAttribute<T>
*Imf::TypedAttribute<T>::cast(const Imf::Attribute *)'
        with
        [
            T=Imath::Box2i
        ]

Am I missing something?  Usually, I can make anything run.

Thanks for your help,
Martin Hash