[Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.1.0 released

From: Drew Hess
Subject: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.1.0 released
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:40:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

OpenEXR 1.1.0 is released.  I'll be sending out an announcement to
openexr-announce in a bit.

If you've been using the autoconf build stuff from CVS, and you want to
continue using CVS, I advise you to do the following in your top-level
OpenEXR CVS directory:

  make distclean
  cvs update -dP
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure --your-options-here

The build environment has changed quite a bit over the last few days, so
this will ensure everything gets built properly.

If you don't wanna deal with CVS, you can go to
http://openexr.com/downloads right now and get the new images and source
tarball.

Since this a new release with lots of changes, expect a few rough edges,
esp. with support for all the variants of compilers out there.  Included
below are the release notes for this version (also included in the source
tarball).

The plan is to hash out most of these issues (esp. the gcc 2.95 problem on
GNU/Linux, which is needed to build the Shake plugin for that platform)
over the next few weeks, maybe release a 1.1.1 or even 1.1.2 if necessary,
and then when we've gotten enough feedback on the tiled API and file
format, we'll release 1.2.

See forthcoming message on openexr-announce for details.

-dwh-

OpenEXR 1.1.0 Release Notes
---------------------------

This is a brand new release of OpenEXR with significant new functionality.
Consequently there are a few issues with it; we're working on these and
plan to fix them (where possible) in the next release.

GCC versions
------------

The "official" supported version of gcc for OpenEXR is 3.3.2 on GNU/Linux,
and 3.3 on OS X.  gcc 3.1 on OS X is also supported (required for building
the OpenEXR Shake plugin for OS X).

Some older versions of gcc work with varying success, and some are not
currently supported.

  version  notes

   2.96    Imath/testTMatrix.cpp doesn't compile.  Everything else
           appears to be fine.
   2.95.3  Has problems compiling new tiled code.  We are working on
           this.  This compiler is required for building the OpenEXR
           Shake plugin for GNU/Linux.

We have not tried other versions of gcc yet.  If you have problems with
a particular version of gcc, please let us know by posting on the
OpenEXR developer's list <address@hidden>.

Visual C++ versions
-------------------

Visual Studio .NET 2003 with the latest updates compiles OpenEXR and
all of the bundled utilities.  It is unable to compile some of the files
in ImathTest.  We are working on this.  As far as we're aware, OpenEXR
is working with this compiler.

Earlier versions of Visual Studio with the Microsoft C++ compiler are
not supported, and most likely will not be, as these compilers are
deficient in their support for ISO C++.

Intel C++ for Windows
---------------------

Intel C++ 7.0 and later is known to compile earlier versions of OpenEXR.
It should be able to compile the 1.1.0 release of OpenEXR as well.
However, we have not tested it.

Also, if you are using Visual Studio 6 with the Intel C++ compiler,
we have not yet updated the Visual Studio 6 project files for this
release.  We would gladly accept any community efforts to update these
files (we simply haven't had time yet).  We do expect to support this
environment again in the next release.

Fragment shader version of exrdisplay

The fragment shader version of exrdisplay does not yet handle offset
display windows correctly.  We will fix this in the next release.