Re: [Openexr-devel] A few fixes before the 1.1.0 release

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] A few fixes before the 1.1.0 release
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:38:09 +0000

Drew Hess wrote:
> I agree that the OpenEXR file format should be as high-performance as
> possible, but OpenEXR only uses Imath for portability and a few
> attributes, so eliminating the restrict keywords from ImathMatrix.cpp
> won't have any noticeable effect on OpenEXR performance.  Like I said, I'm
> not even convinced it makes a noticeable difference on anything except on
> IRIX.

Intel's C++ compilers will perform additional vectorisation if you use
the restrict keyword also. It's better than messing around with
Compiler flags to force the pointer aliasing to be discounted. It also
helps to ensure memory alignement to get the best out of this.

'-restrict' on the Linux command line will enable restrict support.
'-Qrestrict' on the Windows command line will enable restrict support.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley                   | These are the opinions of |
| Senior Do-er of Technical Things | nobody and are not shared |