Re: [Openexr-devel] Maya plugin ... any news ?

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Maya plugin ... any news ?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:45:38 -0700

Henti Smith typed on 6/4/03 6:09 AM

>I have a client that is very keen on switching to using openexr for
>production, but I cannot find any information regarding a maya plugin for
>maya 5
>on both windows and linux

I could be wrong, but I don't think Maya has a public API for supporting
new pixel file formats.  Formats are coded directly into the renderer, so
different render engines (like Mental Ray) support their own set of
formats.

Maya's software renderer doesn't do any HDR stuff, but Mental Ray does
and saves files in the .hdr format.  I don't think Mental Ray has a
plug-in interface for new pixel formats either.

So the bad news is I don't think there's a good way to give Maya OpenEXR
support independantly.  But hopefully A|W and/or Mental Images are
planning to do it themselves.

Brendan