Re: [Openexr-devel] exrdisplay on OS X

From: Paul Boots
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] exrdisplay on OS X
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:21:48 +0100

At 21:48 -0800 27-01-2003, Drew Hess wrote:
>Statically-linked exrdisplay is working on OS X 10.2 with the December
>2002 developer tools now.  It's very basic and only supports loading
>images from the command line.  We probably need a native OS X image
>browser at some point.
>
>You don't need to hack the source anymore to get things working.  The
>istream::read workaround is integrated into the source, and you can turn
>it on by passing "--enable-osx-istream-hack" to the configure script.
>Only OS X needs this flag.
>
>If you'd like to try it right away, you can check the latest source out of
>CVS and do the following in the top-level source directory:
>
>./bootstrap
>./configure --enable-osx-istream-hack --enable-shared=no
>make
>make install
>
>'make check' should work now, too.
>
>Shared libs are kinda working.  You can link exrdisplay against shared
>OpenEXR libs, but the executable just hangs when you try to load an image.
>If anyone has ideas, let me know.
>

>Thanks to everyone who helped get this working.
>
>-dwh-

Thanks Drew - I can see the images!

Still some loose ends though:

At 21:48 -0800 27-01-2003, Drew Hess wrote:
>If you'd like to try it right away, you can check the latest source out of
>CVS and do the following in the top-level source directory:

I co'ed the last version from CVS - here are my findings:

>./bootstrap

As Weston mentioned, Fink turns out to be a pain
I had to manually update to a higher version of autoconf to run 'bootstrap'

>./configure --enable-osx-istream-hack --enable-shared=no

no complains

>make

make worked all but the link phase of exrdisplay,
somehow in the makefile the fink and GL libraries are missing

I've manually appended to the line:

" -lfltk_gl -lfltk  -framework AGL -framework OpenGL  -framework Carbon \
-framework ApplicationServices"

That did the trick and got me an executable

>'make check' should work now, too.

Make check worked an all test checked ok.

>Statically-linked exrdisplay is working on OS X 10.2 with the December
>2002 developer tools now.  It's very basic and only supports loading
>images from the command line.  We probably need a native OS X image
>browser at some point.

Yes - I like the Object C wrapper suggestion; Quicktime component would
be great also - I'm available to coop on the QT thing.
(I've got a DPX/Cineon plugin near ready as well, but that would become
obsolete now we've got OpenEXR! I love it)

The link:
http://viz.cs.berkeley.edu/gwlarson/pickup/photosphere.tar.gz

Doesn't work for me :(

The viewer from <http://www.mesadynamics.com> works very nice;