om-synth

[Om-synth] Re: Getting some sound out of Om

From: S. Massy
Subject: [Om-synth] Re: Getting some sound out of Om
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:54:02 +0000

> Are you sure 128:0 is actually the right MIDI port?
Well, that's what aplaymidi -l says:
laptop:/home/laptop# aplaymidi -l
 Port    Client name                      Port name
  62:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
  128:0    Om                               /sine

> > At this point, nothing further happens and no sound is output.
> > Occasionally, jack will complain about Om's subgraph timing out.
>
> That's very strange.  Om is a very well-behaved Jack client (perfect in
> the realtime safe category as far as I know, but I havn't audited the
> code in a while).  Unless you're on a 486 or something the sine patch
> should run fine.  Do other realtime Jack things work well?
It certainly happens, and I am running the Om JACK combo on a 1.8ghz
laptop, so there shouldn't be any shortage of cycles, especially in a
console environment. However, the occurences are fairly random, and I
couldn't tie them to any action from my part. Ecasound and jack.play are
working with no problem. And, for the record, I am using Om 0.2.0.

> > For the record, I am using the console, and so do not have access to the
> > gtk client.
> >
> > Are there any documentation on writing patches for Om?
>
> The intention is that everything is controlled via OSC.  You "write"
> patches in realtime by sending various commands, just as the GTK client
> does (and the patch_loader client).  If you're a programming type you
> might find the Python or SuperCollider bindings interesting.
Sounds fine by me.

> I havn't written a console patch /saving/ client, mostly due to lack of
> any real personal need to do so.  If you want one, I can bump it up the
> TODO list (it won't be difficult).
That would certainly be useful. Is the format used by soundtank's
<http://www.nymu.net/soundtank/> patch files compatible with Om? It
seems to be using XML as well and has a shell-like interface which lets
one edit a patch-file (or so it says; I haven't been able to compile
it).

Cheers,
S.M.