Re: lambda expressions (was: Re: error with d28016d16e9a ...)

From: Rik
Subject: Re: lambda expressions (was: Re: error with d28016d16e9a ...)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:23:52 -0700

On 10/02/2020 05:23 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10/1/20 8:13 PM, Rik wrote:
On 10/01/2020 12:42 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

We could also decide to always use "[=]" when we need to capture something.  Then all variables that are needed, including "this" will be captured using the default rules for capture by value.

I don't think this is recommended practice.  The temporary anonymous struct that is created to represent the lambda _expression_ will then have an argument in the constructor for every existing variable in the surrounding function.  The compiler *might* then optimize out all of the additional unused captures, but I think it would be better to just capture what you need either by value "[=variable_name]" if small like a built-in type or a pointer or by reference "[&variable_name]" if it is something large like the instance of a class.  For reference, I was using this https://dzone.com/articles/all-about-lambda-functions-in-cfrom-c11-to-c17.

As I understand it, the lambda _expression_ only captures variables that are used.  Using a capture default specification actually seems better to me because the variables are already listed in the lambda _expression_, so explicitly listing them again is redundant.  To me, this seems quite similar to using "auto" to avoid writing out something that the compiler can figure out.  I don't know why the article you linked lists [=] and [&] as not recommended.  I didn't see an explanation and I'm not finding other similar recommendations.

jwe,

Just to fully close this issue, I created a function with a 1000 local variables and a lambda _expression_ that used one of the variables.  I defined the capture _expression_ as either "[=]" or "[=var995]" which captures just one variable.  I then compiled with gcc and compared the resulting binaries.  At least with gcc, there is no particular binary difference between using either _expression_ which indicates it is safe to capture all variables as the compiler is smart enough to optimize out anything that is unused.  So, I think we're fine with adopting the conventions you proposed.

--Rik