Re: New Package Documentation

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: New Package Documentation
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 13:48:12 +0900

On 9/30/20 9:20 PM, Chuck Cook wrote:
> I picked this link out of one of the other threads.
> https://github.com/gnu-octave/pkg-example
>
> My question is:
> How is new package documentation tied into the regular octave
> documentation?  I see packages that obviously have had a lot of work put
> into them.  But how to use them is cryptic and superficial.
>
> Chuck

Thank you for your interest.  The "pkg-example" [1] is created according
to the only and official Octave package documentation in the manual [2].
 Thus using "pkg-example" (also outside GitHub) you do not need to worry
to miss something important that Octave's "pkg" cannot install it properly.

As an example it serves to demonstrate the bare necessary minimum.  And
yes, developing "simple" Octave packages is astonishingly simple 😉

Depending on your needs and package purpose, those packages can of
course increase (dramatically) in complexity, e.g. "bootstrap",
"configure.ac", ...  But all this is not necessary for the start and
should best be avoided to reduce the maintenance burden current packages
are suffering from.

> But how to use them is cryptic and superficial.

What do you mean by this?  Do you mean lack of package documentation?

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://github.com/gnu-octave/pkg-example
[2] https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Creating-Packages.html