Re: Nabble issues

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Nabble issues
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 00:03:00 +0200

Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
    In addition, Nabble's future seems to be uncertain, see:
    http://support.nabble.com/The-Future-of-Nabble-td7605923.html

well, not overly surprising.  while gnu.org <http://gnu.org> does maintain a list archive [1] and there is a reply-to button that I assume uses a mailto: link, it doesn't quote or carry over any useful message headers (actually, I don't think the list uses any thread linking headers). So that's sub-optimal, but possibly provides a minimal solution for you.

there was a 'make a forum' discussion last year [2], but it sort of fizzled. when yahoo groups closed shop a number moved over to groups.io <http://groups.io>.  that acts as a fairly good mailing list / forum bridge.  I've been told that google groups can supposedly serve as a mailing list archive / portal interface. But haven't tried that since a number of mailing lists left it when they changed their operating mode from the old usenet nntp model.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/,
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2019-12/msg00144.html

Thanks Nick.

Yeah I know the gnu.org ML archive, in fact that's what I use to browse the MLs (also the bug and patch tracker archives). The reply button's functionality is rudimentary at best :-) OTOH the search functionality is usable.

Google groups seem to have a taint with it that many OSS communities I was/are involved with don't like; same for yahoo. Another issue there was retention time for postings, esp. in the usenet times.

I do remember last year's discussion and a few others in years gone by. These initiatives usually stall as soon as it emerges that it also requires commitment for responsibilities like moderating, being accountable for the provider, etc. that no one here is willing to pick up. I'll blame no one, I have no interest in (nor time for) that stuff either. What brings us together is enthusiasm for code development, not for mundane stuff like forum administration.

Well, I think I'll have to make do with the gnu.org "reply" button for the foreseeable future :-)
Hopefully someone will come up with a better alternative, who knows.

Philip