Re: octave help links from google

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: octave help links from google
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 21:39:59 -0400

On Tue, Mar 31, 2

Hear, hear. This happens to me _all_ the time when Googling for Octave
docs, and it's a hassle to figure out how to navigate to the current
version of the docs. It'd be great if a link - even just a general
"here's a link to the root of the current 5.x docs" - were in place.

the current link is always under 'interpreter' i believe:
https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html

so with an outdated link like:
https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.1/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html

I would think it fairly simple (haha, no idea what the backend looks like) to script a link to the current page by substituting in 'interpreter'.  It would only fail if an old page did not have a new counterpart.  At the moment, if it created such a link, teh docs default to taking you to the missing functions page: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/missing.html