Re: Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Enquiry about GSoC OSC Topic
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 02:13:57 -0500 (CDT)

siko1056 wrote
> On 3/29/20 4:56 PM, Boxun YAN wrote:
>
>> I’m familiar with circuit theory and Octave/C++ programming.
>
> The package maintainer
> mentions the following items [1]:
>
> - use classdef
> - fix open bugs [2]
> - increase compatibility with SPICE

Dear Slick,

thanks for your interest and thanks to siko for answering. Sorry, I was not
following the mailing list recently. At my university, we are currently
trying to somehow finish the winter exams and to organize the teaching for
next term. This is... challenging.

Regarding the project: siko pointed out some relevant topics and I agree
that we (you) are a bit late but it's not too late yet. Some more explicit
ideas:

1. There are several forks of OCS. Merge them into the official repository,
clean up the coding style, add tests for the new features and make a new
minor release
2. check the spice parser for missing features, even a rewrite should be
considered. The current code is rather ugly and not well maintainable.
3. Improve the internal data structures (classdef!), e.g. think how to
handle "global" variables, e.g. temperature and remove the "evaluate"
statements to assign parameters in the device files.
4. if the data structures are good, documentation improved and everything is
well tested then one should do a final "1.0" release.

Tutors who would be available for help are: Sebastian Schöps and my
colleague Idoia Cortes Garcia (TU Darmstadt) and Carlo De Falco (Polimi).

Best regards
Sebastian

--
Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html