Re: Clarifications regarding User page

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Clarifications regarding User page
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 16:25:19 +0900

On 3/1/20 3:48 AM, akshit chaturvedi wrote:
>     [...]
>     >
>     On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 9:14 PM Kai Torben Ohlhus
>     <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>     >Dear Akshit,
>     >
>     >In your self presentation you don't need to exaggerate to distinguish
>     >from other candidates.
>     >An example: (if it is true, the blame is on me) the sentence "I've
>     >created thousands of m-scripts." is for my narrow mind hard to take
>     >seriously.
>     >Another example: "I use GitHub extensively."  Nine public contributions
>     >in two years to four repositories (one empty) is in my perception not
>     >"extensively".
>
>     >Didn't you mix up "Matlab" and "Octave" sometimes? "I've implemented
>
>     >many Machine Learning algorithms in Octave like Neural Networks [...]"
>     >or did you really implement them from scratch.  Can you share this
>     code?
>     >"As long as the new software doesn't cost more than 50 dollars [...]"
>     >we don't want you to buy software.  We want to know if you have admin
>     >rights on your Mac ;-)  Maybe you are working on a public
>     University PC.
>     >Later, you submit the application proposal on the GSoC website,
>     when the
>     >student application opens March, 17.  But you can write this
>     proposal on
>     >your wiki user page beforehand to discuss.
>     >You can also overhaul the wiki markup on your page a little.  You don't
>     >need to answer in code blocks, unless you like this style.
>     >
>     >HTH,
>     >Kai
>

> Dear Sir,
> Thank you for your quick and detailed feedback. I've made the suggested
> changes to my application.
> I'd like to answer some of the questions which you have posed.
>
> "I've created thousands of m-scripts."
> According to MathWorks, Scripts are the simplest type of program, which
> store commands exactly as you would type them at the command line.
> So, when I say I've created thousands of script files I mean I've
> written around a thousand plus programs (most of which do basic stuff
> like calculate the area etc) and I've written a script file for each one
> of them.
>
> "did you really implement them from scratch."
> I didn't implement them from scratch but I was provided a basic template
> and I had to fill in all the important function files.
> You can find them here: https://github.com/akshit0201/Neural-Networks.git
> I've written sigmoidGradient.m,randInitializeWeights.m,and nnCostFunction.m
>
> "But you can write this proposal on your wiki user page beforehand to
> discuss."
> So, do I need to create a separate wiki-page (which I don't know how to
> do) for my proposal or is it ok to write the proposal on GitHub and
> wiki-link it to my application page.

> [...]

Dear Akshit,

Please keep the mailing-list in the CC.

Thank you for taking your time to overhaul your wiki user page and
sharing your code from the Standford course.  My intentions are not to
make your application look bad, but to give you ideas how to write
stronger applications that convince people of your skills.

At least I get an idea what you call "thousands of m-scripts", Octave
has a definition too [1].  In my words I would phrase it like "I entered
thousands of statements/commands in Octave and saved my history to
individual m-scripts".

Either you can write your proposal in a subsection of "Y: Your task" on
your wiki page or feel free to create the proposal wherever you want an
link it on on the wiki page.

Best,
Kai

[1] https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Script-Files.html