Re: segfaults building documentation when machine under load

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Re: segfaults building documentation when machine under load
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 16:13:22 +0000

On Tuesday, 17 December 2019 15.55.14 WET Rik wrote:
> A possible clue is that this usually happens when generating text files,
> rather than when trying to generate actual images like png or pdf.  The
> text is generated very quickly which means that race conditions might
> become more apparent.  Is the script run-octave safe for parallel execution?
>
> --Rik

Using Fedora 31, I compile octave using on a 4 cores machine (with
hypertheading):

make -j3

things get slow mostly at some stages (when the linker is involved?) because
the memory consumption becomes high (this machine has 8 GB of RAM).

But I never noticed the crashes that you report.

Regards,
--
José Matos