Re: forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: forge communications install failure on Mac: missing octave/config.h
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 19:28:47 -0600

On 12/2/19 5:06 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
Hi, Octave maintainers,

I'm having trouble installing the Forge communications package on macOS.
Affects 4.4.1 and 5.1.0. Happens in both Octave.app and a vanilla Octave.

Looks like the problem is that communications wants to use the
octave/config.h header file, but it's not present in the Octave
installation.

[...]
Does something special need to be done to get the Octave build process
to install octave/config.h? Or is this maybe a bug in the build system?
Or should packages not be using octave/config.h?

The config.h file generated by autoconf is intentionally not installed. If you need info about octave configuration, there is octave-config.h which is installed. If you need the info about OS features that is found in config.h, you need to do your own configuration and generate your own config.h file appropriate for your source files and build system.

For the communications package specifically, I would start by looking at the patches for it that are part of mxe-octave. I expect they already deal with most build issues that you are seeing when trying to build it with a current version of Octave.