FEniCS and Octave

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: FEniCS and Octave
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 10:37:09 -0700

Hi, Octave folks,

Are any of y'all familiar enough with FEniCS use in Octave (particularly with the fem-fenics or msh Octave Forge packages) to tell me a bit about how large its user base is (especially on Mac), and what would make for a good Octave-oriented distribution of FEniCS?

I'm deciding whether to bundle FEniCS and its dependencies with the Octave.app distribution (http://octave-app.org/) so fem-fenics, msh, and other things that require FEniCS work out of the box, without users having to install their dependencies separately.

Installing FEniCS on Mac seems to be somewhat difficult, so this would be a service to any Mac Octave + FEniCS users. On the other hand, that also means it would be significant work for me, so I don't want to do it if it wouldn't actually benefit anyone.

Cheers,
Andrew