Re: final format() changes

From: Rik
Subject: Re: final format() changes
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 08:13:36 -0700

On 10/17/2019 09:28 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> On 10/17/19 12:29 PM, Rik wrote:
>> On 10/16/2019 07:25 PM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>>> Thank you both a lot.  Maybe I can extend the NEWS [1] about multiple
>>> format options, if you want?
>> Sure.
>>
>> --Rik
>>
> Done https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/37f9eb2c05e0

I made a slight tweak here
https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/3912e3a74e31.

It turns out that English has a specific word, "rightmost"
(https://www.thefreedictionary.com/rightmost), for the concept you were
trying to convey, "the 'most right' argument takes precedence".  At least
to a native speaker, "rightmost" sounds better to the ear.

About 1/3 of English words are cognates (similar) to German words, for
example, Apfel -> apple or Eisberg -> iceberg.  If I had to guess, I'd say
that English also borrowed the German tendency to smash two words together
into a new one, as for example Weltmarktführer to mean world (Welt) market
(markt) leader (führer).  In this case, "right" + "most" = "rightmost".

--Rik