Re: Major revision for error handling in the interpreter

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Major revision for error handling in the interpreter
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 16:39:31 -0500 (CDT)

John W. Eaton wrote
> With the changeset
>
>    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/fd32c1a9b1bd
>
> the "error" function (and similar functions that ultimately call it),
> simply throws an exception that contains information about the error
> (message, id, stack info) instead of printing an error message
> immediately and then throwing an exception.
>
> It is now the responsibility of any code that catches an execution
> exception to determine whether and when to display error messages.  I
> believe that I have made all the necessary changes so that errors are
> still displayed where they should be, but I may have missed something.
> If you notice that error messages are not displayed correctly, please
> submit a bug report for the problem.
>
> The new approach is more flexible and allows for some simplification of
> the error message routines as they no longer need feedback from the
> interpreter to know when to display or buffer messages.
>
> jwe

I have tried to call "error" from the GUI thread, namely in
gl2ps_renderer::draw_axes, and this now crashes Octave. Does this mean that
we need to redo the mechanism for rethrowing exceptions in
octave_qapplication::notify and GLCanvas::do_print?

Pantxo

--
Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html