Re: LTspice data import

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: LTspice data import
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:37:17 -0400

On 7/26/19 11:25 AM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
On 7/26/19 4:09 AM, Dr. K. nick wrote:
Dear octave maintainers,

for my project I have created a function to load LTspice (=very popular
freeware circuit simulation package from Linear Technologies, now Analog
devices
https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.analog.com%2Fen%2Fdesign-center%2Fdesign-tools-and-calculators%2Fltspice-simulator.html&data=02%7C01%7Cprzemek.klosowski%40nist.gov%7Ceb99efed84854de84e0a08d711dd9783%7C2ab5d82fd8fa4797a93e054655c61dec%7C1%7C0%7C636997515738823633&sdata=iA757yUl0uqWqJjT9BtT85uf0P7%2F3Cx9Jl%2FgH8yyYxQ%3D&reserved=0)
simulation results into octave. It works quite decent so far but it
needs a bit of polishing and documentation to be easily usable for
somebody other than me.

Before taking on this task I'd like to know whether people are
interested in this kind of functionality being added to octave.

Let me know what you feel about this.
LTspice is quite useful, and even more so when you can postprocess data in Octave, so your project is very interesting. I have exchanged data by exporting CSV from LTspice and reading it into Octave, as well as cutting and pasting, but anything better is welcome!

Ah, and I forgot that even faster I/O is via the .wav files that both Octave and LTspice can read and write.

Having said that, I do support gnucap/Qucs/ngspice. I personally have been using LTspice because once Mike Engelhardt made it run well on Linux, it worked well for me in spite of the fact that I barely know what I'm doing; the other tools assume more domain knowledge than I had at the time.

Nowadays, with Kicad integration, I should probably try them again---especially since LT is no longer independent and who knows how the LTspice project will fare in the long term, e.g. if Mike retires. The FOSS alternatives have the community development model working for them, so in principle they should have a better long-term outlook.