Re: rethinking interpreter <-> gui interaction

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: rethinking interpreter <-> gui interaction
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 23:57:35 -0400

On 7/1/19 2:47 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
Currently, most communication between the Octave interpreter and GUI is managed by the octave_link class interface defined in the interpreter. The actions specific to the GUI are implemented in the GUI by the octave_qt_link class.  These classes provide a thread-safe way for interpreter and GUI to ask each other to perform actions.  For example, the interpreter may notify the GUI that the workspace has changed so that the workspace view in the GUI may be updated.  Or the GUI may ask the interpreter to invoke a function to change the current directory.

As I understand it, there are four cases that may need to be handled:

  1. The interpreter makes a request or sends a notification to the GUI and does not need an immediate result.  The interpreter and GUI threads may continue to run independently.  For example, the inteprerter notifies the GUI that the current working directory has changed.  The GUI will respond by updating the directory displayed in the file browser widget but the interpreter may continue executing while the GUI performs this action.

  2. The interpreter makes a request or sends a notification to the GUI and requires an immediate result.  The interpreter thread must be suspended and wait until the GUI thread is finished with the action. For example, and interpreter asks the GUI to display an interactive file selection dialog to obtain a file name from the user.  This action must be completed before the interpreter may continue executing.

  3. The GUI asks the interpreter to perform an action and does not need an immediate result.  For example, if the user changes the current directory through the GUI file browser widget the GUI will ask the interpreter to execute the "cd" function.  An immediate result is not needed, so the GUI may continue to execute while this action is performed.  The interpreter will execute it separately and signal the GUI when the action is performed so that the file browser may display the new directory.

  4. The GUI asks the interpreter to perform an action and requires an immediate result.  The GUI thread must be suspended and wait until the interpreter thread is finished with the action.  Although this type of interaction is possible, I'm not sure what examples of it that we currently have, or whether any that we do have could be rewritten to behave like item 3 above so that the requested action is performed by the interpreter and the GUI is notified of the result using a separate signal sent from the interpreter.

For actions like items 1 and 2 above, the interpreter calls a function in the GUI that simply emits a Qt signal that is connected to a Qt slot.  These connections are thread safe and queued if needed.  (The only reason we don't just emit the Qt signal directly from the interpreter is to avoid making Qt a direct dependency of the interpreter.)

For actions like items 3 and 4 above, the GUI queues a function that the interpreter will execute when it is otherwise idle.

The octave_link class is inflexible in that it declares a set of about 30 pure virtual functions that all must be defined by any GUI that wishes to work with the GUI.  So instead of allowing the GUI to subscribe to whatever signals it chooses, it must explicitly define functions handle (or ignore) all of them.  It is also not possible for the GUI to easily (or independently) attach multiple actions to a signal.

I am looking for alternatives to the current design of the octave_link class.  It must be thread safe and it should be easy to connect (disconnect) signals to (from) actions.  It should be possible to attach a signal to multiple actions or to have multiple signals trigger a single action.

This all begins to sound a lot like the Qt signal/slot mechanism, something that we should probably not be re-inventing.  However, I still hesitate to bring that into the interpreter as it would introduce Qt as a direct dependency of the interpreter (interpreter objects that need to emit signals or define slots would have to inherit from the QObject class).  I would also like to allow for the possibility of other GUI interfaces that could connect to these interpreter signals and actions without requiring Qt.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Yes, 3 sounds like the right idea.

My memory is the following patch is designed as such:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=8016#options

There shouldn't be a need to make either side of the link suspend and wait on anything. To make the GUI wait feels unnatural. Instead, you'd like to allow the user to edit files and whatnot when a long worker process is running. Perhaps there might be some arrangement in which a sequence of events has to happen in the GUI, but I'm pretty sure one can think of a dynamic signal/slot connection to do that.

In the patch, that is the key, dynamic connections to a "queue" result. There currently is a queuing mechanism for commands, say "cd" or "pwd". The patch extends that idea to include a broadcaster. In the latter command, some information is returned in an octave_value class. In the GUI, the object that wants the information puts the command "pwd" in the queue and dynamically makes a connection to the queue result or "broadcast". The queue also keeps a record of the requesting object's ID (this) so that on the return trip all the objects that may be connected to the broadcaster can compare their "this" against the ID to recognize, "Hey, that's my data!". Once the GUI has its data, it can choose to disconnect so that the broadcaster doesn't get too many subscribers--or whatever analogy one wants to use.

Dan