Re: Beginning Contribution to Octave

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Beginning Contribution to Octave
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:34:55 +0200

Hi,

Le sam. 29 juin 2019 à 09:50, Nikhil Reddy <address@hidden> a écrit :
Hello,

I wish to contribute to Octave and did not really know where else I could ask for guidance. If messaging this way is improper, I'm sorry and I would be grateful if you could direct me to the proper channel.

I added the maintainers list to the recipients, which is where you'll find people who may help at developing Octave.

I've been working with Matlab for over two years now and I'm pretty comfortable with C and Fortran (I've done simulations and numerical implementations in Fortran and some command line tools in C.)

I've been interested in contributing to Octave for a while and subscribed to mailing list over a year ago. I haven't really been able to find any issues I could tackle.

There are (unfortunately) many bugs you can try to tackle depending on your domain of expertise and (most of all) of interest. See
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Would it be possible for you to suggest some beginner specific issue I could tackle to get my feet wet? Maybe writing sample Octave programs or with the docs etc.

For beginning, writing documentation is a good idea (at least you'll learn how to produce mercurial change sets). For example many simple functions in Octave would benefit from added examples and use cases.

Any other advice also would be appreciated.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely
Nikhil

Pantxo