Re: Fwd: Octave JIT consultancy

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Fwd: Octave JIT consultancy
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 23:06:07 -0400

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 11:57 +0000, CROZIER Richard wrote:
> On 11/06/2019 18:55, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> > On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 08:37 +0000, CROZIER Richard wrote:
> > > I asked previously about the possibility of funding some development of
> > > the Octave JIT (see below, I don't think I received any replies).
>
> > So, I believe we have some money that could pay for this. I think it's
> > a good use of our money. This library also seems like a good approach.
>
> > Do you have someone in mind who could do the work?
>

> So, to be clear, are you suggesting you could also contribute money to a
> project to work on this?

Yeah, Octave was given a 90k USD donation a while ago (10% of our
donation money goes to the FSF for processing fees):

https://www.fsf.org/news/free-software-foundation-receives-1-million-from-handshake

We have a bit more than that from other donations. As far as I'm
aware, we haven't used the money for anything yet. A competent
developer who could give us stable JIT compiling for Octave seems like
good use of this money, hopefully with some documentation so that we
can keep maintaining it after the work is done.