Re: Minimum Java version

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Minimum Java version
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 10:02:54 -0700

On 06/01/2019 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
ForwardedMessage.eml
Subject:
Minimum version of Java for Octave 5.2.0
From:
Mike Miller <address@hidden>
Date:
05/31/2019 12:10 PM
To:
address@hidden
Message:
1

All,

Octave currently builds for and supports a minimum version of Java 6.

Does anyone have any objections to updating the minimum to Java 8? Any
objections to making this change on stable for Octave 5.2.0?
Unless there is a glaring need, I would not change the stable branch.  The stable branch is supposed to maintain a uniform API and be about bug fixes.  Changing the required ancillary libraries and programs needed to build Octave might not necessarily qualify as an API change, but it would be annoying.  Just because Oracle is no longer supporting Java 6, i.e., deprecation, doesn't mean we need to enforce that on our users.  It's up to them whether they want to upgrade or not.

For the development branch, there is no issue advancing the required minimum version.  And, if we can maintain our release pace, that is only 6 months away.

--Rik